Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Pictures!

As promised, here at last are pictures of some of the things I've found most striking so far about living here.

I see this boat twice a day, I think at high tides, and I have no idea what kind of ship it is. It has a tall gantry-like thing at the stern, but no obvious cargo on deck, and I've never seen nets. Ed thinks it might be a dredging ship working to deepen the port.

mystery ship

vending machine
Here is one of the ubiquitous Japanese vending machines.
Buddhist monk
This is not, of course, a picture of
the actual monk I saw walking
down the sidewalk with a tall
wooden staff, last week. (no camera!)
But, as I was trying to puzzle out
what sort of person he was, Ed brought
home the October issue of Okinawa
Living, and I saw this picture of
a Buddhist monk. One mystery solved!

This is one of the banyan trees in Isa Park, a little park next to the seawall, right across the street from our house.

Isa Park

This is the reason we chose this apartment.

view from our balcony

Here are two views from the seawall.

Hamby Town and Mihama

Fishing boats anchored behind the breakwater




Here are a few of the small things that make me happy:

jasmine tea

blue tabi socks

my drums

And here are the three things in Japan that make me the most happy:

Sebastian

Atanasia

Indiana

Many thanks to Buddy, for pointing out that almost no one was allowed to post comments the way I had the defaults set. I've fixed it now so that everybody who visits can post a comment, and I wish you would. :)

In Passing

Waiting for words to come from the moonlit sky . . .

Suddenly, dark clouds drift across like chilling smoke

But don't let your heart be darkened like them ---

The moment always passes and gladness will return.

----- Kwan Yin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My good friend, Sophie Liu had a dream about Kwan Yin. The next day, Sophie (who was thought to be anything but artistic) bought some oil paints, painted Kwan Yin & thus, began her transition from programmer to artist/gallery owner.

And on my one remaining pet-peeve from designing days - thank you, thank you for putting spaces in between the ". . ." at the end. You have made my day. Love - c

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog makes us feel that you're not so far away. We're just looking through all of it together (Ger for the first time). Much, much love to Edmundo, Sebastian, Atanasia, and Indianna, and always, to you.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!!!! Its Mary, Vivian and Isabella!!! Just checking out your blog!!!! I wanted to say hello and tell you how much we miss you and we are always thinking of you and your whole family!
Hope all is well!
Kansas City

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home